[ Table of Contents unavailable ]

Cutting ( 1890)

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/30/1

Scope and Content

From BMJ 25 January 1890, re. abuses at Manchester Provident dispensaries.


Correspondence ( 1962)

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/30/2
Physical Description 5 pieces

Scope and Content

Between Sir Zachary Cope and William Brockbank, 30 March-25 April 1962 re. dispensaries in Manchester and levels of membership.


Chorlton-on-Medlock Dispensary ( 1871-1903, n.d. )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/31
GB 133 Former reference: J b 26
Physical Description 6 items

Scope and Content

The collection comprises a rulebook, several annual reports, and a note by EBL.

Administrative history

The Chorlton-on-Medlock district of Manchester was officially outside the remit of MRI. When a fever epidemic in 1825 put pressure on the poor law administration, MRI was asked to extend its remit. It refused, due largely to the costs involved not being balanced by significant subscriptions from the area. In reaction, the leading citizens of Chorlton decided to form a dispensary and Chorlton on Medlock Dispensary was opened in 1826. The Dispensary was independent of MRI and raised money from a subscription system and from poor law payments for paupers. The Dispensary grew rapidly and in the 1830s moved to a new site at the Town Hall, Cavendish Street where it remained until it closed in around 1938. The Dispensary took home-patients and out-patients, but never took in-patients. By 1860 the Dispensary had widened its remit and served Rusholme and Moss Side as well as Chorlton, changing its name to 'Chorlton-upon-Medlock, Rusholme and Moss Side Dispensary' to reflect this. The Dispensary did not appear to become a provident dispensary, and retained a system of recommendations. The Chorlton-on-Medlock Dispensary celebrated its centenary year in 1925 when it was still managed as a voluntary dispensary.


Rules (1899 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/31/1
GB 133 Former reference: J b 26 ii (b)
Physical Description 1 item

Rulebook (1899)

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/31/1/1

Scope and Content

Revised rules of the Dispensary, 1899.


Reports ( 1871-1903 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/31/2
GB 133 Former reference: J b 26 ii (d)
Physical Description 4 items Covers fragile

Scope and Content

Annual reports for 1870, 1873, 1877, 1902 only.


EBL's notes relating to the Dispensary ( n.d.)

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/31/3
GB 133 Former reference: J b 26 ii
Physical Description 1 item

Scope and Content

Holograph note, entry for Dispensary extracted from Wheeler's Manchester, 1836.


Hulme Dispensary ( [?1869]-1931 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/32
GB 133 Former reference: J b 27
Physical Description 12 items

Scope and Content

The collections consists of annual reports, notes and cuttings relating to the Dispensary and a pharmacopeia.

Administrative history

A small dispensary was opened in Hulme in 1830, but closed shortly afterwards and no records survive. The new Hulme Dispensary was founded in Drake Street 1869. It was a voluntary dispensary, free to poor out-patients without the need for a recommendation from a subscriber, but recommendations were required for home-patients. Later, a small charge was made to patients. Hulme Dispensary opened special departments for women's diseases and skin diseases in the 1890s. The Dispensary later moved to Dale Street, Stretford Road, and closed in 1939. It was not related to Hulme Provident Dispensary.


Reports (1870-1903 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/32/1
GB 133 Former reference: J b 27 ii (d)
Physical Description 7 items Item 7, covers torn and detached.

Scope and Content

Annual reports for 1870, 1871, 1887, 1891, 1894, 1897, 1903.


Other documents ( [?1869]-1931 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/32/2
Physical Description 5 items

Letter/Minute (1919)

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/32/2/1
Physical Description 2 pieces

Scope and Content

Letter from Harold Jackson (honorary secretary of Dispensary) to Dr Prowse, 30 April 1919 re. employment of nurse at Dispensary, with manuscript minute of Medical committee, 8 May 1919, confirming they would employ nurse.


Appeal Leaflet (n.d. [?1869])

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/32/2/2
GB 133 Former reference: J b 27 iv

Scope and Content

Leaflet appealing for funds for the new Dispensary, n.d. [?1869]


Cutting ( 31 Oct 1931 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/32/2/3
GB 133 Former reference: J b 27 ii (m)

Scope and Content

From the Manchester Guardian 31 October 1931, letter from E Foulkes et al appealing for funds for the Dispensary.


Holograph note (n.d.)

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/32/2/4

Scope and Content

Note by EBL, entry for Hulme Dispensary in Wheeler's Manchester, 1836.


Pharmacopoeia ( 1882)

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/32/2/5
GB 133 Former reference: J b 27 xvi (l)
Physical Description 1 hardbound volume Spine broken, front board detached.

Scope and Content

Pharmacopoeia of the Hulme Dispensary, 1882.


Greengate Dispensary and Open Air School ( 1904-1927 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/33
GB 133 Former reference: J b 28
Physical Description 19 items

Scope and Content

Annual reports and notes about the Dispensary's history.

Administrative history

In 1876, Dr Theodore Grimké established the Salford Medical Mission in Greengate, one of the poorest districts of Salford. After Grimké's death in 1886, his widow formed a group of trustees to carry on the work of the Mission. The Mission also provided accommodation for the Salford Day Nursery, which had been founded in 1883. The Dispensary was managed by Mrs Grimké until 1902, when administration passed to a committee. This probably is when it became known as the Greengate Dispensary. Greengate Dispensary was established as a voluntary general dispensary for the poor, no recommendation was required. A small in-patients department was opened, called the Grimké Ward. This Ward became a special institution for the treatment of paralysis and disablement by manual methods, exercise under supervision and education. The official title changed to 'The Greengate Dispensary and Institute for the Treatment of Nervous Diseases'. The Dispensary began admitting children with a variety of disabilities and cooperated closely with the Crippled Children's Help Society. While the Dispensary admitted adults, the Institute was limited in space and only ever admitted children. It soon built a small gymnasium. Grimké Ward was recognised by the Board of Education as a Special School in 1903. However, the Dispensary lacked space and facilities.

In 1912, a new wing was built with an out-patients department, new wards and a roof playground. With the Insurance Act of 1912, the numbers of adult out-patients decreased, and school inspections resulted in a rise in child admissions. By the 1920s most out-patients were children. In 1917, the Salford Day Nursery, which was on the same site, was formally incorporated with the Dispensary. Dr Montessori visited the Institute in 1919 and discussions took place concerning the opportunity to erect and open-air nursery school for potential and actual rickety children. An appeal was launched to enable this in 1918 and in 1920 a charity was established under the name 'The Greengate Dispensary Medical Mission and Salford Day Nursery Trust'. The old buildings of the Day Nursery were condemned as unfit for habitation, and the nursery closed in 1920 in anticipation of a move to a better site. After this closure, the charity was called 'Greengate Dispensary' and the Institute became known as the 'School for Rickets'. The children who were admitted were usually rickety, which was a change from the more varied causes of disability admitted in the early years. The children were also admitted at a younger age and many children went home at the weekend. In 1922, the School moved from the basement to a new Open Air Shed and Playground and a new school regime was established. In 1925 the charity changed its name to Greengate Hospital and Open-Air School. The general out-patients department continued, though tended to treat more children than adults. The Hospital and School probably closed in 1948.


Annual reports (1904-1927 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/33/1
GB 133 Former reference: J b 28 ii (d)
Physical Description 17 items Item 1 in poor condition (covers torn and detached)

Scope and Content

Annual reports for 1904, 1908, 1911, 1913-1916, 1918, 1920-1927, and annual report of the Salford Day Nursery, Greengate, 1915.


Other Documents ( n.d.)

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/33/2
GB 133 Former reference: J b 28 iv
Physical Description 2 items

Typescript note (n.d. [c 1920s])

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/33/2/1
Physical Description 8 sheets

Scope and Content

Typescript history of the Dispensary, possibly an address given by Alexander Wilson, n.d., probably 1920s.


Holograph note (n.d.)

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/33/2/2
Physical Description 1 piece

Scope and Content

Extract from A.A. Mumford concerning the Dispensary.


Lower Broughton Provident Dispensary ( 1891)

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/34
GB 133 Former reference: J b 29
Physical Description 1 item

Scope and Content

The collection consists of an annual report for 1891 only.

Administrative history

Lower Broughton was a Provident Dispensary. For history see MMC/9/30 Provident Dispensaries.


Annual Report (1891 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/34/1
GB 133 Former reference: J b 29 ii (d)
Physical Description 1 item

Rusholme Dispensary ( [1904])

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/35
GB 133 Former reference: J b 30
Physical Description 1 item

Scope and Content

Pamphlet concerning the campaign to establish a Dispensary for Rusholme.

Administrative history

A meeting took place in 1904 with the aim of establishing the 'Rusholme and District Provident Dispensary'. The Rusholme area was covered by the Chorlton-on-Medlock Dispensary, but this was not a provident dispensary. For a history of provident dispensaries in Manchester see Provident Dispensaries, MMC/9/30.


Pamphlet ( [1904])

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/35/1

Scope and Content

Printed report of a public meeting held in Rusholme Public Hall on 25 October 1904 re. establishing a provident dispensary in Rusholme.


Homeopathic Hospitals ( 1902, 1905)

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/36
GB 133 Former reference: J b 31
Physical Description 2 items

Scope and Content

The collections consists of only two items: reports for the Manchester Homeopathic Institution (1905) and the Manchester Homeopathic Dispensary (1902).

Administrative history

In the early nineteenth century, interest in homeopathy grew as a reaction against established medicine, but was regarded dismissed by most medical practitioners as quackery. By the early 1850s there were two homeopathic dispensaries in centre of Manchester and two in Hulme.

Manchester Homeopathic Dispensary was a voluntary dispensary founded circa 1842. It changed its rules in 1847 to encourage patient subscriptions, but it was also supported by the Hospital Saturday Fund. The Dispensary took on a house surgeon and began admitting in-patients. From 1850 until circa 1883 Manchester Homeopathic Dispensary and Hospital was based at Bloom Street and it soon grew to thirty beds. The Dispensary was later based at 107 Great Ancoats Street.

A separate institution, Manchester and Salford Homeopathic Dispensary was founded in 1854 in Lever Street, it is not known when closed.

The longest serving Homeopathic Hospital was founded around 1859 as Manchester Homeopathic Institution and Dispensary, at 203 Great Jackson Street, Hulme. It was a voluntary institution, but patients who were able to paid fees. The Institution aimed to promote a wider knowledge of the principle and practice of pure homeopathy. The Institution attended to out-patients and home patients but does not appear to have admitted in-patients. By 1905 the name had changed to Manchester Homeopathic Institution. In 1939 it moved to a purpose built clinic in Oxford Road, becoming Manchester Homeopathic Clinic. It remained there until the building was demolished in 1970 and the clinic moved to Brunswick Street where it remains today. The Clinic never became part of the NHS, but does provide treatment to NHS patients.


Annual Report ( 1902)

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/36/1
Physical Description Covers torn and detached.

Scope and Content

Fifty-seventh annual report of Manchester Homeopathic Dispensary, Great Ancoats Street, 1902.


Report ( 1905)

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/36/2
Physical Description Covers torn and detached.

Scope and Content

Report of the Manchester Homeopathic Institution, Great Jackson Street, 1905.


Wythenshawe Hospital (1959-2002 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/37
GB 133 Former reference: J b 32
Physical Description 11 items

Scope and Content

Cuttings relating to medical activities and social events at Wythenshawe Hospital.

Administrative history

Wythenshawe Hospital was established in 1952. It was a general hospital on the site of Baguley Emergency Hospital (Baguley Hospital remained as an independent Chest Hospital). The site was large, but many of the buildings were derelict. Wythenshawe was on the list of the Ministry of Health lists of the first new hospitals to be built under the NHS. Amidst controversy, it was decided to build the hospital on the site of the present Baguley Hospital, rather than on the site of the Emergency Hospital, retaining the temporary buildings. A new maternity hospital was opened in 1965 and the rest of the new hospital was completed by 1973. The temporary buildings were finally demolished in 1994 after a decision to rationalise Withington and Wythenshawe Hospitals with Wythenshawe as the main hospital taking all in-patients. Wythenshawe is a large hospital specialising in cardiac care and emergencies and has a new teaching hospital.

Bibliography

Robert Price Davies, Baguley and Wythenshawe Hospitals: A History , Manchester 2002 is the standard history of the hospital.


Cutting ( 28 Jan 1959 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/37/1

Scope and Content

From Manchester Evening News 28 January 1959, reports delays in building at Wythenshawe.


Cutting (31 Mar 1960 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/37/2

Scope and Content

From Manchester Guardian 31 March 1960, re. new hospital and building of a larger hospital.


Cutting (18 Apr 1960)

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/37/3

Scope and Content

From Manchester Guardian 18 April 1960, reports on the new site for Wythenshawe Hospital.


Cutting (12 Aug 1960 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/37/4

Scope and Content

From Manchester Guardian 12 August 1960, reports a Ministry of Health inspection of Wythenshawe site.


Cutting (5 Oct 1960 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/37/5

Scope and Content

FromManchester Guardian 5 October 1960, reports the Minister of Health has rejected protests about site of new Wythenshawe Hospital.


Cutting (12 Dec 1960 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/37/6

Scope and Content

From Manchester Guardian 12 December 1960, re. grant of £12,000 p.a. for a new ward at Wythenshawe.


Cutting ( 26 Jan 1961)

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/37/7

Scope and Content

From Manchester Guardian 26 January 1961, reports the second phase building of the Hospital.


Cutting ( 15 Apr 1968)

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/37/8

Scope and Content

From Manchester Evening News 15 April 1968, re. fears of job losses due to transfer of plastic surgery unit to Withington.


Cutting (6 Jan 1984 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/37/9

Scope and Content

From Guardian 6 January 1984, article on funding problems for heart operations at the Hospital.


Cuttings (1987 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/37/10
Physical Description 4 pieces

Scope and Content

From Manchester Evening News 6 March, 13-15 April 1987, reports on the first heart transplant at Hospital.


Cutting (10 Oct 2002)

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/37/11

Scope and Content

From South Manchester Reporter 10 October 2002, reports on Wythenshawe centenary celebrations.


Manchester School for the Deaf and Dumb including the Deaf and Dumb Asylum ( 1836-1950 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/38
GB 133 Former reference: J b 34
Physical Description 28 items

Administrative history

Manchester Institution for the Deaf and Dumb was founded in 1823. The first school was opened in Stanley Street, Salford on 28th February 1825 with an initial intake of fourteen children. Children were admitted between the ages of eight and thirteen, but often stayed until they were sixteen. It was soon apparent that more space was needed and new premises were found in Old Trafford on a site shared with Henshaw's Blind Asylum. Within two years the funds had been raised to build a new school which opened on 21st June 1837. A number of branch schools opened in the later nineteenth century. The original building remained the high school, a general branch was opened at Bolton and a branch for infants at Clyne House, Stretford. In Old Trafford there were two branches, the Sir James E. Jones Branch for Industrial Training and the Henry Worrall Branch for Elder Deaf Girls. In 1897 Queen Victoria conferred the title of Royal upon the Schools and the Institution became known as the Royal Residential Schools for the Deaf, Manchester. The Royal Schools remained at Old Trafford until the outbreak of the Second World War, when the Infant School was temporarily moved to The Manor in Middlewich. By this time Old Trafford had become increasingly industrialized and it was agreed that a site in the suburbs should be found. In 1956 the new premises opened on an 80-acre site in Cheadle Hulme, where the school remains today. In 1983 the School became an all-year round residential school for deaf children with additional severe difficulties.


Annual Reports (1836-1950 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/38/1
GB 133 Former reference: J b 34 ii (d)
Physical Description 26 items Many items in poor condition with no covers.

Scope and Content

Annual reports for 1836-1838, 1840-1842, 1845, 1848, 1852, 1861-8, 1870, 1873, 1875, 1938, 1946-1950.


Other documents (n.d. )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/38/2
Physical Description 2 items

Scope and Content

Cutting and holograph note.


Cutting (n.d.)

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/38/2/1
Physical Description 1 piece

Scope and Content

Report of annual examination of the scholars of the Manchester Schools for the Deaf and Dumb, n.d. [probably late nineteenth century].


Holograph note (n.d.)

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/38/2/2
Physical Description 1 piece

Scope and Content

Entry for the School for the Deaf and Dumb in Wheeler's Manchester, 1836.


Henshaw's Institute for the Blind (1835-[1937] )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/39
GB 133 Former reference: J b 35
Physical Description 4 items

Scope and Content

Annual reports 1873-1875 and 1935, centenary pamphlet and cutting.

Administrative history

Thomas Henshaw died in 1810 leaving a legacy of £20,000 for the establishment of an asylum for the indigent blind. A delay followed due to the will being contested, but in 1833 it was agreed to erect a Blind Asylum. In 1835 the proposed Asylum was named Henshaw's Blind Asylum. A site at Old Trafford was purchased, adjoining the site purchased for Manchester Institute for the Deaf and Dumb. However, the will provided that the money should not be spent on buildings and so Henshaw's Blind Asylum was built by public subscription. The Asylum opened in 1837 and aimed to provide education, employment and welfare for the blind. There was controversy in the mid-nineteenth century, with a battle between Anglicans and dissenters, each vying for management of the charity. After public allegations of corruption and incompetence the Board of Management resigned in 1867. There were originally 37 inmates, but this figure grew and the accommodation gradually became inadequate. With a legacy from John Pendlebury, a new building to increase accommodation was opened in 1887. This was followed by the erection of further extensions and a number of residential homes. In 1887 Henshaw's opened workshops in Salford, these were to small and expensive so moved to Deansgate in 1891. Eventually a large warehouse was purchased in Stretford. A Sales Shop for articles made under the scheme was provided in Oxford Road. Blind craftspeople were paid a wage augmented by the Charity. Henshaw's Asylum also included an elementary school for blind children aged 5 to 16 and a technical college for students from 16 to 21. Students were trained into an occupation such as music or craftwork. Following the Elementary Education (Blind and Deaf Children) Act, 1893, Henshaw's expanded its school service. The Blind Person's Act required education to be given to over 16s, and Henshaw's again increased its accommodation to enable this. Financial support in the form of grants supported these expansions. The Asylum was re-named Henshaw's Institution for the Blind in the 1920s and by 1937 the Institution was the largest of its kind in England and Wales. Henshaws has gradually broadened the scope of its activities in relation to blindness, and since 1971 it has provided a service for the visually impaired as well as the blind. The Asylum also The Charity also provided homes for the elderly and infirm in Gresham and Birch Avenue. The Institution changed its name in 1971 to Henshaw's Society for the Blind and again in 2000 to Henshaw's Society for Blind People. Today the Society provides a wide range of services for the blind and visually impaired across the Northern England and Wales.

Related Material

JRUL has custody of the early records of Henshaw's Society, see HEN.


Bibliography

Peter Shapely, 'Henshaw's Blind Asylum and the Charity Market', Manchester Region History Review, Summer 1994.


Reports ( 1873-1875 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/39/1
Physical Description 1 item no covers, torn from bound volume

Scope and Content

Annual reports of Henshaw's Blind Asylum, 1873-1875, bound together.


Report (1935 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/39/2

Scope and Content

Ninety-fifth annual report and accounts of Henshaw's Institution for the Blind, 1935.


Printed booklet ([1937] )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/39/3
Physical Description Bound volume, 2 copies.

Scope and Content

Centenary Souvenir of Henshaw's Institution for the Blind, 1837-1937.


Cutting ( 1835)

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/39/4
Physical Description 1 piece

Scope and Content

From Manchester Guardian 23 May 1835, re. go-ahead for the asylum.


Springfield Hospital, Crumpsall (1968-1998 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/40
GB 133 Former reference: J b 36
Physical Description 5 items

Scope and Content

The collection comprises four newspaper cuttings relating to the Hospital's work in the 1960s, and a copy of Mark Greenwood's history of the Hospital.

Administrative history

Springfield Hospital was originally a workhouse, but was gradually transformed into a psychiatric hospital. The old Manchester Workhouse had been founded in Bridge Street in 1792. The new Manchester Workhouse opened in Crumpsall in 1858. The Workhouse building, called Park House, later became Springfield Hospital. The Workhouse catered for paupers, including those who were able to work, as well as orphans, the elderly and 'lunatics'. By 1860, there were 116 inmates of unsound mind. In 1876, Crumpsall Infirmary was built next to the Workhouse, and the Workhouse gradually ceased to cater for able-bodied paupers. At the turn of century, Manchester Board of Guardians began specialist provision for epileptics, orphans and 'feeble minded children', leaving 'the elderly and adult inmates of unsound mind in the workhouse'. Crumpsall Institute passed many patients on to County Mental Hospitals, but provided institutional care for patients with a wide variety of psychiatric problems.

After the reorganisation of poor law unions in Manchester in 1915, Manchester Workhouse changed its name to the less stigmatised Crumpsall Institute, and in 1930 the Institute ceased to be a workhouse and instead provided care for psychiatric patients. With control being taken by Manchester Corporation, the Infirmary and Institute became separately managed institutions. In 1939 the name of the Institute was changed to Park House, due to the stigma attached to the word 'Institute'. With the advent of the NHS, the hospital changed its name yet again, this time to Springfield Hospital, and it joined up with Swinton. By this time there were 883 patients, though this figure would decrease rapidly. The 1940s saw the first psychiatric social worker at Springfield and the first medical superintendent started work in 1950s. There were significant improvements in the 1960s, partly due to Mental Health Act of 1959. The Hospital began to offer treatment rather than incarceration. In 1972, Springfield Hospital was integrated with Delaunays Hospital and Crumpsall Infirmary and became the Psychiatric Department of the North Manchester General Hospital. The department closed in 1995 and the original building was demolished to be replaced with a new Mental Health Unit, aptly named Park House.

Bibliography

See

Mark Greenwood, Springfield Hospital: The human history, 1855-1995 , 1998.


Cutting (n.d. )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/40/1

Scope and Content

Not sourced, report on MRHB plan to open clinic for male alcoholics at Springfield


Cutting (Mar 1968)

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/40/2

Scope and Content

From Manchester Evening News March 1968, article about work of Hospital with mentally ill and alcoholics.


Cutting (27 March 1968 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/40/3

Scope and Content

From Manchester Evening News 27 March 1968, reports opening of a new psychology building at Springfield.


Cutting (Jul 1968 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/40/4
Physical Description 2 pieces

Scope and Content

From Manchester Evening News July 1968, reports allegations of cruelty against nurses at Springfield in geriatric wards.


Published Work (1998 )

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/40/5
Physical Description 2 pieces

Scope and Content

Mark Greenwood, Springfield Hospital: The human history, 1855-1995 , 1998.


Ashton-under-Lyne Hospital ( 1960)

Reference GB 133 MMC/9/41
GB 133 Former reference: J b 37
Physical Description 1 item

Scope and Content

The collection comprises only a report of the Hospital's maternity department for 1960.

Administrative history

Ashton-under-Lyne Infirmary was established in 1860, as a result of the response by a local mill-owner, Samuel Oldham, to a tragic boiler explosion. It was primarily an accident hospital, and was run on a voluntary basis but with some private patients. A thirty-two bed children's hospital, Kershaw Children's Hospital, was opened in 1892. The hospital buildings were extended several times from 1908 onwards and by the early twentieth century the Hospital was known as Ashton-under-Lyne District Infirmary and Children's Hospital. The Hospital joined the NHS in 1948 and was called the Ashton Infirmary. Probably in the 1950s, the Hospital merged with the Lake Hospital, Ashton-under-Lyne. The Lake Hospital was the old Darnton Street Workhouse, opened in 1851. It had opened as Lake Hospital in 1905 and later became a maternity hospital. When the two hospitals merged, they became the Infirmary Section and Lake Section respectively of Ashton-under-Lyne General Hospital. The Infirmary Section was an acute hospital and approved for the treatment of non-pulmonary tuberculosis and venereal disease. The Lake Section was a geriatric and maternity department. In 1957 the two hospitals, along with Fountain Street Isolation Hospital (founded on the same site in 1888) amalgamated to form Tameside General Hospital.