[ Table of Contents unavailable ]

File: Pharmaceutical Society (1931-1979)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/124
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

A social and academic society primarily for Pharmacy students (founded in 1920 as the Pharmacy Students Association).


File: Photographic Society (1940-1969)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/125-
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Photographic Society was set up in 1938. It promoted photography by exhibitions, competitions and demonstrations.


File: Physical Society (1923-1972)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/126
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The earliest known group for University physics students was the Physical Colloquium, established in 1894, which included both academic staff and students. This body appears to have merged with the Physical Society, a student group in the 1920s. Thereafter the Society was the main social and intellectual group for physics students.


File: Physics and Electronics Society (1974-1978)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/127
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

Established in 1974 for those interests on electronics. It was not recognized, and is believed to have been dissolved c.1978


File: Planning Society (1969-1971)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/128
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Planning Society was established for Town and Country Planning students in 1969 (the Architectural and Won Planning Students Society had previously performed this function). It does not appear to have been recognized by the University.


File: Poetry Society (1968-1971)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/129
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Society was set up in 1968 to encourage poetry within the University through readings and publication. The Society issued a Broadsheet to publish members' poetry.


File: Progressive Popular Music Society (1968-1971)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/130
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

Established in 1968 for "the appreciation ...of Progressive Popular Music"; the Society was defunct by 1971.


File: Psychology Society (1948-1982)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/131
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Society was established in 1948 as a social and academic forum for Psychology students.


File: Society against Racial Discrimination ( 1964-1965)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/132
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Society was established in 1964 as the Manchester University Anti-Apartheid Society, with the declared aim of promoting "opposition to all forms of racial discrimination with particular respect to South Africa". In the event, it was recognized with the alteration of its objectives to "promoting interest in and the study and discussion of racial problems, with special reference to South Africa".

In 1965 the University of Manchester Students Union affiliated to the national Anti-apartheid Movement, and created its own anti-apartheid committee. In consequence, the Society changed its name to the Society against Racial Discrimination, with a broader remit of opposition to all forms of racial discrimination.


File: Radio and Electronics Society (1947)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/133
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Society was established in 1947. Originally planned as a section of the Physical Society, it operated an independent society. Its objectives covered both theoretical and practical aspects of radio and electronics.


File: Railway Society (1966-1969)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/134
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

A short-lived Society recognised in 1966, its aims were to promote interest in rail transport. It was defunct by 1969.


File: Rationalist Society (1950)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/135
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Rationalist Society recognized in 1950. Its declared aims were:

"a) To promote free inquiry in opposition to bigotry and dogma, whether political, religious, scholastic or racial.

b) To show how logical, independent and unattached criticism is indispensable in all spheres of human activity.

c) To provide a platform for speakers contributing to the above aims."

It had originally been intended to call the Society "Manchester University Secular Society", but this was rejected by the Vice-Chancellor on the grounds that the Society was not actually promoting secularism.


File: Fellowship of Reconciliation Group (1950-1954)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/136
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Fellowship of Reconciliation was established in 1914 as a Christian pacifist organization. In 1950 the Fellowship established a branch at the University. It was formally recognized as "The Fellowship of Reconciliation (Manchester University Branch"; its aims were to promote "the study and presentation of Christian Pacific ism on the basis of the foundation statement of the Fellowship of Reconciliation".

The file includes copies of constitutions, correspondence relating to recognition and the Group's membership and a copy of the 1954/5 syllabus.


File: Record Society (1943-1944)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/137
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Society was reconciled in 1943; its aim was "to play records of good music when no other record recitals are being given; and to stimulate interest in music, particularly recorded music."


File: Rhythm and Blues Society (1965)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/138
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Society was set up in 1965 for the appreciation of "authentic rhythm and blues" music.


File: Rover Scout Crew Society (1936-1950)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/139
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Rover Scout Crew established a branch at the University in 1936, and was part of the Scouts' Association


File: Russian Society (1964-1971)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/140
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

Established in 1964 to promote the study of and interest in Russia and its culture.


File: Science Federation (1926-1931)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/141
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Science Federation was a group of University science societies which collaborated for social and intellectual purposes.It published a Journal.

Related Material

Copies of the Federation's journal available at UMP/2/8.



File: Science of Science Society (1967-1969)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/142
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Science of Science Society was et up in 1968, with the objective of promoting interest "in the consideration of science from the social, economic, political and similar points of view." The Society had close associations with the Department of Liberal Studies in Science.


File: Science Students Council (1942)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/143
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Science Students Council appears to have been an interest group for Faculty of Science students.


File: Scientific Exploration Society (1967-1969)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/144
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Scientific Exploration Society was set up in 1967 to promote and coordinate science exploration within the University. It was a recognized Society. The file includes two reports by the Society on expeditions to Afghanistan in July/September 1970, and Eastern Turkey in August 1970.


File: Scottish Country Dancing Society (1952-1968)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/145
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

Established in 1952 to encourage interest in and to practise "the country dances of Scotland".


File: Scout and Guide Club (1939-1997)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/146
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Scout and Guide Club was created from a merger of the Scout and Girl Guide Clubs in 1950. The Scout Club was established in 1932, and the Guide Club was set up in 1939, as University branches of their respective organizations. The file includes Club programmes and the acquisition of Linnet Clough Farm (Mellor)as a permanent camp for Manchester Scouts in 1967.


File: Senior Training Corps Old Cadets Association (1944)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/147
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Old Cadets Association was established during the Second World War to promote reunions of former members. It is unclear whether it survived into the post-war period.


File: Social Administration Society (1968)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/148
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

A society established in 1968 for students studying social administration (social policy).


File: Socialist Society (1926-1969)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/149
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Socialist Society is believed to have been established before the First World War. In 1926, its declared objectives were:

"To spread a knowledge of Socialism amongst the students in the hope that they will become imbued with the spirit of self abnegation as a necessary concomitant of the principle of 'from each according to his power; to each according to his need' and to espouse the cause of the Labour Party as being the economic interpretation of Socialism."

This was later modified to "consider and discuss the aims and ideals of Socialism". The Society was affiliated to the Student Labour Federation.


File: Young Socialist Society (1969)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/150
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

Little is known about this Society; it was established in 1969, but not recognized by the University.


File: Sociological and Social Anthropology Society ( 1965-1971)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/151
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Society was established in 1965 as a social and intellectual forum for students in the Department of Social Anthropology and Sociology.


File: South African Students Society (1959-1963)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/152
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Society was set up in 1958, originally with a specific anti-apartheid objective, viz.: "to assist South African students financially and give them moral support in their fight against in the Universities of South Africa." These objectives were modified following an application for recognition to the University to "to assist South African students and to stimulate active interest in the problems they are now facing." The Society was defunct by 1963, and its activities appear to have been taken over by the Anti-Apartheid Society (see also the Society against Racial Discrimination VSS/1/132).


File: Spanish Society (1947-1974)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/153
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Society promoted interest in Spanish life, language and civilization, and was mainly for students in the Spanish Department.


File: Stage Society (1969-1970)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/154
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The file comprises correspondence relating to the Vice-Chancellor's patronage of the Society.


File: Student Action Group (1967)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/155
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Group was established and recognized in 1967 "to study and discuss issues that concern student welfare, and to publicise relevant facts with a view to enlightening student opinion as a whole."


File: Student Industrial Group ( 1954-1960)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/156
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Group's objectives were "the study and discussion of industrial and allied problems."


File: Sudanese Students Society (1965)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/157
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

Established and recognized in 1965 as a social and cultural group for Sudanese students.


File: Manchester Tactical Society (1968-1975)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/158
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Manchester Tactical Society encouraged the study of war and military history. The Society was originally founded in 1881 but appears to have lapsed before the First World War. In 1967, it was refounded

"To foster and guide preventive and functional military studies...as an integral part of higher learning and particularly to focus and integrate the disciplines of the historian and the political and the behavioural scientist for co-ordinated research in depth on the origins, form, nature, avoidance, and conduct of modern warfare; and on military organisms in peace and war".

The Society was usual in having a significant number of academics active in its work, drawn from the departments of history, government, sociology, psychology, law and theology, and had close connections with the small department of Military Studies. Non-University individuals could also join as associate members.


File: Thai Students Society (1966-1969)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/159
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

Plans were mooted for a Thai Students Society in 1966, although in the event a society does not appear to have been set up.


File: Theological Society (1926-1964)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/160
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Theological Society was a social and academic forum for students and staff within the Faculty of Theology.


File: Theological Colleges Union (1954-1964)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/161
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Theological Colleges Union was a social group for members of the theological colleges associated with the University of Manchester (namely, Hartley Methodist College, Unitarian College, Fairfield Moravian College, Manchester Baptist College and Lancashire Independent College). The Society was recognized by the University; the Society was dissolved in 1964.


File: Tiddlywinks Society (1959-1966)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/162
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

Established in 1959 for the playing of tiddlywinks.


File: Transport Society (1963-1977)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/163
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Society set up in 1963 as the Road Transport Society for "the encouragement in Road Transport". It changed its name to the Transport Society in 1968.


File: Turkish Students Association (1961)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/164
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

A social and cultural group primarily for Turkish students at the University, set up in 1961.


File: Unitarian Society (1948-1968)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/165
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Society was originally known as the Fellowship of the Unitarian College, Manchester in 1948; this body appears to have evolved into the Manchester Unitarian Society, which had as its objective:to promote discussion and debate on topics directly or indirectly associated with Unitarianism and to provide a medium for the propagation of liberal religions and humanitarian thought in the University."


File: United Nations Student Association (1947-1971)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/166
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Association as a branch of the United Nations Association, to promote the aims of the United Nations and encourage the study of international affairs.


File: Welsh Society (1940-1964)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/167
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Welsh Society was set up in 1940 for Welsh students at the University and to promote interest in Wales. The Welsh name for the Society was Cymdeithas Gymraeg Prifysgol Manceinion.


File: Whitworth Arts Society (1958-1971)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/168
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

Originally known as the Fine Arts Society, it revised its name to Art Society in 1963, with an explicit aim of promoting closer relationship the Whitworth Art Gallery. Around 1968, it changed is name to the Whitworth Arts Society, and held most of its social events at the Gallery.


File: Women Students in Lodgings Society (1957-1960)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/169
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

A social support group for females students living in lodgings set up in 1957.


File: World Development Society ( 1962-1969)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/170
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

The Society was originally known as the Freedom from Hunger Society and was associated with an international campaign against hunger and poverty of the same name. The Group was active in fund-raising It changed its name to the World Development Society in 1966.


File: Youth Club Society ( 1957-1967)

Reference GB 133 VSS/1/171
Physical Description 1 folder

Scope and Content

Originally known as the Youth Service Society, the Society promoted youth services in the local area.